Character Animation in HeroEngine is composed of several parts:
- Description of the file types that are needed to define a character
- Defining the character and its related properties
- An animation set is a collection of animation sequences, which define a given character's motion possibilities.
The ANIMATION.DAT file
- This file contains a list of all the available animation sequences
- Instructions to HeroEngine on how a character moves, via a tree of different sequences
- The basic wiring of the animation system, which controls how individual animations are applied to character movement
- Each animation file has one animation, which contains the actual animation curves (keyframes). This page contains an overview of how to apply animation to a character.
- The CLI BEHAVE command, and how to use it to issue specific animation commands from the console window or from script
- In-depth information on understanding the concept of Model World-space movement
- Optional note tracks in the animation data, which identify key frames where specific events need to occur, such as playing a sound in synch with the animation