Setting up 3ds Max
- This page gives instructions for setting up Autodesk 3ds Max. For Autodesk Maya, see Setting up Maya.
We recommend following the video tutorials first: Art Video Tutorials.
Using the Art Pipeline Installer
- The current version of the art pipeline in the cloud supports the previous 3 years of Max.
- Please make sure you've run the Art Depot Installer from your account page.
- Then download the 3ds Max HeroEngine Art Pipeline installer from your account page. Make sure to select the version that matches your copy of 3ds Max: 32-bit or 64-bit and the correct year.
- Make sure you have run 3ds Max at least once, to generate the settings files that the installer will modify.
- With 3ds Max closed, run the pipeline installer. The art pipeline should be installed into your Art Depot at C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HeroEngineArtPipeline.
- The installer should handle all steps of the setup process. Once it completes, you're good to go!
NOTE: If you run into any issues or errors, please verify the install was successful by following the manual setup steps and let us know what issues you encountered on the forums: HeroEngine Forums.
- Download the HeroEngine Art Pipeline and place it in C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot
- You will now have a directory structure that looks like C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HeroEngineArtPipeline
Configure System Paths
Start up 3ds Max and select "
Configure System Paths..." from the "
- On the "System" tab, select the "Additional Startup Scripts" line, then press the "Modify..." button.
- Navigate to the
C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HeroEngineArtPipeline\MaxScripts\Max20xx.0 folderand select startup.ms and press "Use Path".
- Move onto the "3rd Party Plug-Ins" tab
3rd Party Plug-Ins tab
- On the "3rd Party Plug-Ins" tab, press the "Add..." button.
- Change the "Label:" text field from "
New Entry" to "
Note: Do Not check "Add Subpaths" in the "Choose Directory for New Entry" dialog.
- For 64 bit Max navigate to the
C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HeroEngineArtPipeline\Exporter\Max20xx.0folder and select the "max20xx_amd64_Release.dlo" file. Press Use Path.
- For 32 bit Max navigate to the
C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HeroEngineArtPipeline\Exporter\Max20xx.0folder and select the "max20xx_x86_Release.dlo" file. Press Use Path.
- You can now press the "OK" button on the "Configure System Paths" window.
If you used the art depot installer then your path will be C:\HeroEngine\ArtDepot\HeroEngineArtPipeline, but your team may be using a networked or different setup, so your path might differ. Network paths are acceptable here as well for one central location of the tools.
Exit and restart Max
At this point, you must exit and restart Max in order for it to load the new scripts and plugins
To see if the System Paths are setup for the scripts and plug-in, click on the 3ds Max Utilities tab panel, then toggle on the MAXScript button. Below will be a Utilities drop down menu that should have new "Hero" menus such as the Hero Character Tools and Hero Export scripts.
3ds Max Units Setup
One(1) HeroEngine unit is equal to 10 meters. In order to configure 3ds Max such that each unit demarcation in the Max grid will be equal to one meter, do the following:
- Open the Units Setup dialogue in 3ds Max via the Customize > Units Setup... menu and set the "Display Unit Scale" radio button to "Metric" and set "Meters" for the dropdown menu.
System Unit Setup
- Click on the "System Unit Setup" button at the top of the "Unit Setup" dialogue. This will open the "System Unit Setup" dialogue.
- For "1 Unit =" enter
0.01and change the dropdown menu to
- Press the "OK" button on the "System Unit Setup" dialog.
- Press the "OK" button on the "Unit Setup" dialog.
- Now Restart 3ds Max to apply the changes.
Note: It is possible to build assets in other units scale, however our MAXScript tools are built for the suggested scale listed above.